How To Design a Town
This is a wonderful tutorial courtesy of Jon Roberts from http://www.fantasticmaps.com/. Go check out some of his other great tutorials on worldbuilding!
Today a quick mini-tutorial. This isn’t a photoshop tutorial, nor is it a tutorial for a polished finished map. This is a step by step in my own town creation method when I’m creating the first sketch layout. The key here is to have the town layout make sense.
1. Draw the terrain and the major locations
Towns adapt to their surroundings. The first thing to do is to draw the terrain the town sits on. In this case I’ve picked a peninsula with a larger outcropping at the end. The coast is rocky and broken apart from a low bay on the NE.
Once you’ve placed the terrain, use that to inform the locations of the main buildings. Here the castle goes on the highest promontory, with a commanding view of the sea and the land around. The cliffs on the promontory provide natural defences. Any land based threat must come down the peninsula, and the town will want to defend the harbour, so it’s natural for there to be a wall across the end of the peninsula.
After placing the major defences, I add a harbour for fishing boats (food), a market near the docks (commerce). I place another couple of large buildings – 4,5 and 6 that could be a temple, inn and wizard’s tower respectively – the trifecta of important fantasy town locations.
2. Place the major roads
Roads get people where they need to go. In this case, the road needs to take a fairly direct route from the main gate to the castle. Remember that the roads will follow the contours of the terrain. Avoid straight roads in fantasy town maps – they tend not to have heavy earth moving machinery so roads need to go around obstacles on the whole. It’ll help sell the sense of a naturally evolving town.
Once we’ve laid in the main thoroughfare, add main roads to the source of food and commerce – these will be the high traffic routes. Add in a couple more – here I add the second road to the NE through the smaller gate.
3. Add the minor roads
With the major roads in place the map looks bare. Add a web-work of smaller roads to fill in the gaps. Remember that the majority of the smaller roads are going to be to get people to the major roads. Add kinks and corners to give the minor roads some visual interest, and again follow the contours of the land.
4. Draw in the houses
This can take a while, depending on the scale of the map and the level of detail you’re going for. In this sketch I was drawing on paper at roughly 2 inches square so a house could be little more than a dot on the map. Here the houses are a means of blocking in the space around the roads. Ideally when you’re done with the houses you’ll be able to see the roads even if you remove the road lines.
And that’s it! You’re done with your sketch. Add a key and it’s a functional town map. Going from here to a presentation map is a different issue, but that’s a matter of style rather than substance.
I hope you found that useful as a walkthrough. Feel free to ask questions and share around. Also note that there are more tutorials archived here.
967 Notes/ Hide
- somepeoplecallitanarchy reblogged this from messedupinthehead69
- somepeoplecallitanarchy likes this
- messedupinthehead69 reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory
- messedupinthehead69 likes this
- thehorsemancometh likes this
- kimiyo16 likes this
- ladymoonstache likes this
- gnomehut likes this
- a-lorax-readin-books reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory
- a-lorax-readin-books likes this
- boundlessspiral likes this
- islandfullofchives reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory
- writer-notebook reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory
- yae666 likes this
- atlantichighway reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory
- todanceforthelavalamp reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory
- saltwater-0ceans likes this
- amandagodreauwrites reblogged this from thosewritingthings
- plushrefs reblogged this from pelium
- pelium reblogged this from churugi
- midousuji likes this
- avegaille reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory
- ibarachisato reblogged this from churugi
- churugi reblogged this from shotalitarianism
- thosewritingthings reblogged this from writeworld
- officialbenedryl reblogged this from wibblywobblygenderywendery
- officialbenedryl likes this
- wibblywobblygenderywendery reblogged this from writeworld
- misterwaltdisney reblogged this from writeworld
- redkite19 likes this
- miercatt reblogged this from fannishcodex
- jillswriting reblogged this from writeworld and added:
- websters-unabridgededition reblogged this from writeworld
- elleliteration reblogged this from writeworld
- shewatchesworlds reblogged this from writeworld
- wannabebatgirl likes this
- ghostoo reblogged this from writeworld
- seriously-cereal likes this
- northern-mutt likes this
- ocentropy reblogged this from writeworld and added:
- paulahartke0726 likes this
- figmentfiles reblogged this from writeworld
- writeonwriteawayyy reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory
- alababwa likes this
- expensiveface reblogged this from autumnalequinox
- sheepcountingsheep likes this
- xoipa likes this
- quilavaofficial likes this