7 Reasons Agents Stop Reading Your First Chapter
1. Generic beginnings: Stories that opened with the date or the weather didn’t really inspire interest. According to Harmsworth, you are only allowed to start with the weather if you’re writing a book about meteorologists. Otherwise, pick something more creative.
2. Slow beginnings: Some manuscripts started with too much pedestrian detail (characters washing dishes, etc) or unnecessary background information.
3. Trying too hard: Sometimes it seemed like a writer was using big words or flowery prose in an attempt to sound more sophisticated. In several cases, the writer used big words incorrectly. Awkward or forced imagery was also a turnoff. At one point, the panelists raised their hands when a character’s eyes were described as “little lubricated balls moving back and forth.”
4. TMI (Too Much Information): Overly detailed description of bodily functions or medical examinations had the panelists begging for mercy.
5. Clichés: “The buildings were ramrod straight.” “The morning air was raw.” “Character X blossomed into Y.” “A young woman looks into the mirror and tells us what she sees.” Clichés are hard to avoid, but when you revise, go through and try to remove them.
6. Loss of Focus: Some manuscripts didn’t have a clear narrative and hopped disjointedly from one theme to the next.
7. Unrealistic internal narrative: Make sure a character’s internal narrative—what the character is thinking or feeling—matches up with reality. For example, you wouldn’t want a long eloquent narration of what getting strangled feels like—the character would be too busy gasping for breath and passing out. Also, avoid having the character think about things just for the sake of letting the reader know about them.
Hope these tips are helpful. Do you see any of these mistakes in your writing?
141 Notes/ Hide
- theatricalintricacy likes this
- el-bitch likes this
- goddessstorm reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory
- goddessstorm likes this
- berandewrites reblogged this from naturesafterthought
- referenceforfuture reblogged this from sweetfayetanner
- referencefuture reblogged this from sweetfayetanner
- cardboardviolin likes this
- blackb00ks likes this
- mylove-theastronaut reblogged this from sweetfayetanner
- depaysementdunejeunedemoiselle likes this
- summonerluna likes this
- storiesabouteternity likes this
- retrievearmsfrom likes this
- arr0manches likes this
- roguebelle reblogged this from blaineandsamevanderson
- lovablefungus reblogged this from fateandfire
- xoddxphilosophyx reblogged this from sweetfayetanner
- fateandfire reblogged this from sweetfayetanner
- tinyprincessfuyuhikokuzuryuu reblogged this from batsonthebrain
- tinyprincessfuyuhikokuzuryuu likes this
- berials reblogged this from batsonthebrain
- berials likes this
- xoddxphilosophyx likes this
- dearbabeletter likes this
- askhimtodancedoc likes this
- batsonthebrain reblogged this from blaineandsamevanderson
- blaineandsamevanderson reblogged this from sweetfayetanner
- blaineandsamevanderson likes this
- blackinkpen reblogged this from sweetfayetanner
- blackinkpen likes this
- turkfox likes this
- thisismiki likes this
- sweetfayetanner reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory
- serendipkitty reblogged this from thatawkwardwritingmoment
- kaleidoscope-xx likes this
- wasdplz likes this
- storyaddicted reblogged this from agonyofanuntoldstory and added:
- naturesafterthought reblogged this from thatawkwardwritingmoment
- jaimelannistersgoldhand likes this
- truthisademurelady reblogged this from ctrayn
- brandondominguez reblogged this from soraavalon
- twinsinthetardis reblogged this from thesleep-deprivedwerewolf
- ryangooddays likes this